Re: [edlug] tsort command

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Justin B Rye <edlug@xxx.xxx.xxx> wrote:

> I'm sure people did plenty of esoteric things decades ago - but that
> hardly explains what these executables are doing on my path today.
> After all, I don't have gcc or binutils...

I actually had a use for tsort a few months back for sorting nodes in
a directed graph. It was easier to send the data to tsort than write
my own sorting routine or hunt around for appropriate Perl or Python
libraries.

Since it can be used for sorting based dependency, it's useful for
tracking whether dependencies between files and directories, so you
can write a script that cleans up parent directories after moving or
deleting files, for example.

A lot of people are so used to doing things in scripting languages
like Perl or Python that they forget that a lot of what they want to
do can be done using shell scripts and the "tranditional" unix
utilities.

Anyhow, these utilities don't take up much space, they don't post any
obvious security issues, so there's no problem in leaving them there.