Re: [edlug] Doze free netbook

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 13:07 +0000, Leo Butler wrote:
> To be honest, it seems laughable to pump up ubuntu as a windows
> killer.
> It's unfortunate that w7 is not the miserable flop that was vista, but
> let us put this all into perspective:
> Almost as many users still use w2k as every brand of linux.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_desktop_operating_systems

I Have the feeling that ubuntu is getting too complex. I upgraded two of
my machines a desktop and a msi wind netbook to karmic. both upgrades
were somewhat broken:
- the kernel mode setting uncovered a bios mis-feature which leads to a
flashing back light
- karmic upgrade broke my networking on the desktop. admittedly it's not
straight-forward - I use network-manager and nfs home directories. but
still.
- also some of the printing is broken - i suspect that karmic produces
either buggy pdfs or too new pdfs which intrepid cups
- before that, jaunty nfs4 didn't play with the last LTS

So it seems to me that ubuntu is great and keeps improving as long as it
works for you. When it doesn't work then it becomes increasingly
difficult to fix it because everything is so interlinked. I wonder if
the pace of ubuntu development is too fast and if there shouldn't be a
longer phase of stabilisation/bug fixing.

I must say I am somewhat disgruntled and tempted to swap back to debian.
they move more slowly and tend to be more thorough...

magi