Re: [edlug] Doze free netbook

Graeme Gregory wrote:
On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 10:26:48AM +0000, Iain A F Fleming wrote:
Graeme Gregory writes:
> > Heh, your obviously delaying the upgrade to Karmic disaster :-D

I just upgraded my VIA Nehemiah based jukebox machine to Karmic, from
Jaunty 9.04, and it went without a single hitch, and is now running as
well as ever.

I dont think thats comparable, it seems for a lot of desktops and
certainly netbooks they fscked up big time. Ive now totally lost
the ability to suspend/hibernate :-( Also because I have encrypted
home I get stupid error messages and boot is frozen until I hit
Esc key. I finally fixed gnome desktop by doing rm -rf .g* which
is really fscking stupid. And they dont even give you a working
jabber gtk+ client :-(
I wouldn't know about jabber or encrypted directories / filesystems, what I can say though is that I have installed Ubuntu Karmic on 2 laptops (Dell Latitude D520 32bit and Inspiron 1525 64bit install), a netbook (Dell mini 9 32bit install) and a desktop (Dell Optiplex 32064bit install) with the latter being the first time I managed to install Linux on - at least without a buffer-overflow-worthy kernel boot line (thank you Dell for a hopelessly broken BIOS). Everything has been rosy for the last two weeks, not a hiccup.

YMMV

Cheers,
Apollon