Re: [edlug] still problems with UML and networking

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 09:43:27PM +0100, Magnus Hagdorn wrote:

> i still don't get it. presumably i need to add the tap device to the
> bridge, i.e something like
> tunctl -u blub -t test-tap
> brctl addif br0 test-tap

Yes, my mistake. The revised commands would be:

ifconfig eth1 up
tunctl -u blub -t test-tap
brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth1
brctl addif br0 test-tap

You can test the bridging independently of the UML by assigning an address
to it on the main host. e.g.

ifconfig br0 192.168.10.3 up

This is the equivalent of assigning an address directly to the second nic
(eth1) and should put your main host on the same lan segment as the firewall's
DMZ interface and the UML.

You can use this to check connectivity between the firewall/host and
host/uml individually. I'd recommend taking eth0 offline while doing this,
to ensure that you don't get any odd network routes confusing the results.

Other debugging info can be found in dmesg on the host and uml (just watch
for error messages) and from 'brctl show' and 'brctl showmacs br0'.

Hope this helps,

Tim

--
Tim Hawes