Re: [edlug] still problems with UML and networking

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 18:23, Tim Hawes wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 05:50:58PM +0100, Magnus Hagdorn wrote:
>
> > I am still somewhat puzzled with UML and networking. I guess I should
> > expand on what I want to do:
> >
> > internet<---->firewall<------>various computers
> >                   |       |
> >                   |       |-->internal server
> >                   |-->external server
> >
> > my idea is to have the external server running in a UML session on the
> > internal server. The internal server has two network cards (like the
> > firewall). I want to bind the 2nd NIC on the internal server to the UML
> > session. As I gather I need to create an ethernet bridge and use the
> > tuntap driver for UML. However it does not work.
> > Has anyone done this before?
>
> I use bridging mode. I you need something like this (assuming that your
> second card is eth1):
>
>   ifconfig eth1 up
>   brctl addbr br0
>   brctl addif br0 eth1
>   tunctl -u <umlusername> -t <tundevicename>
i still don't get it. presumably i need to add the tap device to the
bridge, i.e something like
tunctl -u blub -t test-tap
brctl addif br0 test-tap
i then start my uml with something along the lines of
linux .... eth0=tuntap,test-tap
set up my network
ifconfig eth0 192.168.10.2
and ping 192.168.10.1
nothing happens. :-(
i have no idea how i can trace these problems. do i need to switch
something on or off? what tools can i use to check what is going on.
help is greatly appreciated.
cheers
magi