Re: [edlug] still problems with UML and networking

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 05:50:58PM +0100, Magnus Hagdorn wrote:

> I am still somewhat puzzled with UML and networking. I guess I should
> expand on what I want to do:
>
> internet<---->firewall<------>various computers
>                   |       |
>                   |       |-->internal server
>                   |-->external server
>
> my idea is to have the external server running in a UML session on the
> internal server. The internal server has two network cards (like the
> firewall). I want to bind the 2nd NIC on the internal server to the UML
> session. As I gather I need to create an ethernet bridge and use the
> tuntap driver for UML. However it does not work.
> Has anyone done this before?

I use bridging mode. I you need something like this (assuming that your
second card is eth1):

  ifconfig eth1 up
  brctl addbr br0
  brctl addif br0 eth1
  tunctl -u <umlusername> -t <tundevicename>

Then run the UML with "eth0=tuntap,<tundevicename>" on the command line.
Bridges usually take 30-60 seconds to set up, so you may not get
connectivity immediately.

Tim

--
Tim Hawes