[edlug] RE: FOSS business models [was Big blue v Big poo]

This is a very interesting thread, I note the change to 'FOSS business models'.

I'm sure it does happen the way you outline, all the time.

I wonder what other FOSS business models there might be though? Here's one off the top of my head;

Creating Software for Linux
---------------------------
There are software companies who have created products for Linux (e.g. Codeweavers, VMWare, RedHat, SuSE, and soon Macromedia) that they charge for, and make money on.

I expect there must be money in writing good software for Linux distros, and charging light for volume sales, an 'iTunes' for Linux maybe, or some professional plug-ins for the GIMP, maybe some smooth video-conferencing software, or a killer CRM app that integrates with Evolution.

There are existing software products like Net Support School etc (http://www.netsupportsoftware.com/) that as a consumer I'd like to have on Linux.

Regards,

Peter George
Training Manager
Net Resources Ltd
26 Palmerston Place, Edinburgh, EH12 5AL
T: 0131 477 7127  F: 0131 477 7126
http://www.netresources.co.uk