Re: [edlug] RE: FOSS business models [was Big blue v Big poo]

We've made money from our MailManager product in 3 ways now:

1. We got some funding to add a feature to it
2. A company wanted to include in their product, so needed to be released
from the terms of the GPL
3. Another company wants us to host it for them

Oddly enough all 3 customers have been from the States.

We've also had a huge amount of help from the community in putting the
product together, if I was buying that help I would have expected to have
been paying a good few hundred thousand pounds.

Eric Raymond's Cathedral & the Bazaar is a good book if you're interested in
open source business models.

http://mailmanager.sourceforge.net/