Re: [edlug] Big blue v Big poo

Peter,

    My sentiments exactly,

    The comparison was poor, and I got the feeling that he had simply read a
    brief on Open Source the night before the meeting took place.

    The IBM rep seemed almost to shake in his boots when he was asked what I
    would have thought was a relatively answerable problem. His answer was
    almost always 'I don't think I have an answer for that'.

    The IBM guy sounded like someone who was not only enthusiastic about the
    business in o.s. but was also interested in anything anti-microsoft at
    times. Maybe this is because IBM/MS haven't always had the best
    relationship and IBM would love to distance themselves from them, but at
    this point *rely* on them, or maybe it is because Linux offers a refreshing
    new way to look at software.

    Either way, he seemed to have his heart (but not his head) in the right
    place. Which is a shame.

    The talk seemed to be a bit too much of a Windows vs Linux bashing debate,
    which is not what I turned up for. I wanted to hear real arguments for and
    against the next revolution of software marketing: is OSS going to drive
    conventional proprietary licensing to the brink of extinction, or as the M$
    guy said, OSS is only for enthusiasts (as in the freeware market), but due
    to it's free nature, can't possibly make viable commercial sense.

    I don't think OSS is going to go away, and I possibly don't see the
    extinction of propriatery software on the horizon any time soon but real
    argument for and against would be nice to hear, so that in months to come,
    I have strong answers for both OSS and the propriatery model to give to my
    boss.

    One of my older bosses used to ask me (quite often), "So, how does this OSS
    model make any money then?". I wish I wrote him a report now, saying the
    pros and cons of OSS and was able to give him a better answer than :

    	* IBM and other corps like it throw lots of money at it
	* Lots of people pay for consultancy and support

    I'm not a businessman, but I feel as an advocate of OSS/Linux, as many of
    the EdLUG members are, we should know more about the business viabilities
    of the OSS market, so that we can tell the money spinners *why* the oss
    model really is worth all the money, and where they can actually put the
    money in, and where it actually comes out.

Answers on the back of a postcard!

Alistair Ross

 Peter  George Said (peter@xxx.xxx.xxx):

> I agree with many of the observations posted already.
>
> The IBM speaker did not really give a compelling enough case, and the Microsoft speaker was considerably better prepared and presented better arguments. Both speakers acknoeledged that Linux and open source now have their place in business.
>
> The Microsoft speaker pointed out that Microsoft have learned a lot from the open source movement, particularly in rediscovering the iportance of community involvement which they had let go since Win 3.1. The graphs of vulnerabilities disclosed by each distribution were interesting, Debian being slated as about 5 times more insecure than Win XP according to his data. Ed's already pointed out how the info may have been misrepresented.
>
> I thought the most disappointing part of it was the introduction to the 'debate' by the chair, who seemed to be comparing the open source business model to shoplifting O'Reilly books from Waterstones. I think there is room for a considerable amount of education on how businesses make money and thrive when using Linux and open source.
>
> A better open source advocate speaker might have taken some real world business case studies, and performed comparative cost savings (licencing), and demonstrated how the different open source licencing models can be used or modified to make money, which is of course what business is about.

          '''
         (O O)
+----oOO--(_)----------+  Monopolize: \Mo*nop"o*lize\, v. t.: