Re: [edlug] Debian UML getty problem

Tim Hawes wrote:

I used rootstrap to build my UML root disk (Debian Woody). It all seems to work except at boot up I get a series of these messages:

execvp of 'x-terminal-emulator' failed - errno = 2
xterm_open : run_helper failed, errno = 2

So far as I can tell they come from getty when spawned by init.

3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3

Each getty causes the UML to create another tty, and in this case the UML
tries to attach them to xterms.

I guess this is what a normal host does. It's probably not what I want to do with my uml.

What I want is to create a tty in the term or xterm that uml is started. That seems to be tty0 always but I'm not sure why.

You can attach the ttys elsewhere with command line parameters, as described
here:

http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/input.html

This is more sophistcated and I don't fully understand what it's telling me.

At the moment I'm just trying to get the thing to boot.

Dick