[edlug] Debian UML getty problem

I used rootstrap to build my UML root disk (Debian Woody). It all seems to work except at boot up I get a series of these messages:

execvp of 'x-terminal-emulator' failed - errno = 2
xterm_open : run_helper failed, errno = 2

So far as I can tell they come from getty when spawned by init.

3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3

If I run getty in a shell I get the same error.

It seems to me it's trying to run xterm but since the system has no X software on it it's a bit futile.

Anybody know what getty is supposed to do - what it should really be exec'ing or better still, how to fix the problem.

Dick