[edlug] NIC forgets settings on apm resume

Hi,

With regards to the below issue, I resolved it by installing Debian
Sarge (testing). ;-)

However, if I set the machine to sleep using apm -s, when I bring it
back to life, the ethernet configuration is gone. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Regards,

    Alistair Ross

PS: Hope to see some familiar faces at tonight's debate thingy!

Alistair J Ross Said (ajross@xxx.xxx.xxx):

> Hi all,
>
>     I have used the cheap and cheerful 8139 chipset 10/100 PCI nics on
>     linux with much proven success over the years using the 8139too.o
>     module in the 2.4 kernel series.
>
>     I now have obtained a PCMCIA 32bit card which uses the 8139 chipset.
>     However, getting this to work is proving a bit more taxing.
>
>     Firstly, I did what I was told in the install.txt file on the driver
>     diskette:
>
> 	1. Compile the source code :
>        Copy the source code rtl8139.c (ver 1.08 above) to a directory
>        and execute "gcc -DCARDBUS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
>        -O6 -c rtl8139.c -o realtek_cb.o -I/usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.0.9/include/"
>        The directory "pcmcia-cs-3.0.9" stands for the card service version you
>        use. Please change it to the version on your system in order to include
>        proper .h file. The final file is realtek_cb.o
>
>     The next steps get you to copy the .o file to the modules dir on
>     your system and update your pcmcia/modules configuration file.
>     However the above step 1. does not work - it does'nt compile, and am
>     I mistaken, but should I still be using pcmcia-cs in a modern-day
>     2.4 kernel?, but just to be sure, I downloaded pcmcia-cs and pointed
>     this gcc to it. It still failed.
>
>     Needless to say, I downloaded 2.4.25 from kernel.org and set about
>     creating a new kernel, enabled PCMCIA in menuconfig, along with
>     including the 8139 driver in the Ethernet 10/100 section. Upon
>     multiple compiles of this kernel, I can't get pcmcia to work,
>     cardctl status simply says 'no pcmcia driver found in /proc/'
>
> Anyone any experience with these cards, or getting PCMCIA to work
> correctly on 2.4? -- please note that i also have an Orinoco based US
> Robotics wireless card which works correctly on my existing 2.4.18
> kernel.
>
> Regards,
>
>     Alistair Ross
>

> --
> 									ViM6
> 	   ,''`.
> 	  : :' :   "Just one small part of the GNU revolution."
> 	  `. `'
> 	    `-

									ViM6
	   ,''`.