[edlug] Internet backbone technology

(weird, second time I've had to send this)

I'm looking for some good, free, up to date, documentation on current
internet technology for a prospective job interview, primarily the
optics, multiplexers etc. Specifically things like calculating maximum
fibre optic length. Basic fibre optic/laser theory I'm fine with its the
more advanced and practical stuff involved with planning and laying out
fibre optic networks I'm after. I don't mind mathematics, in fact thats

“We had to starve you so that we could stop bombing you, and then we had to bomb you so that we could stop starving you.” Kathy Kelly