[edlug] Internet backbone technology

I'm looking for some good, free, up to date, documentation on current internet technology for a prospective job interview, primarily the optics, multiplexors etc. Specifically things like calculating maximum fibre optic length. Basic fibre optic/laser theory I'm fine with its the more advanced and practical stuff involved with planning and laying out fibre optic networks I'm after. I don't mind mathematics, in fact thats better.

“We had to starve you so that we could stop bombing you, and then we had to bomb you so that we could stop starving you.” Kathy Kelly