Re: [edlug] Re: [linux-users] Recommendation for Linux hosting

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 06:58:48PM +0000, Dick Middleton wrote:

> Hmmm.  Slight diversion... How does one support different domains
> through one IP address?  This is typically what web-host companies do.
>
> Is than possible to do with a UML service like Bytemark?

  I have a ByteMark account and I run several domains.  Really it comes
 down to a little bit of configuration on the services you wish to run.
 For me I just run SMTP/IMAP/WWW.

  Assuming you have multiple domains you simply point the MX records
 to the one IP address you have, then configure a mail server to accept
 mail for the relevent domains - using Exim or Postfix this is very
 simple to implement.

  The next thing to do is read the documentation on VirtualHosts for
 Apache, and setup the websites.  For me this means creating a file
 layout something like this:

    /home/www
    /home/www/foo.com/htdocs
    /home/www/foo.com/logs
    /home/www/foo.com/cgi-bin
    /home/www/bar.com/htdocs
    /home/www/bar.com/logs
    /home/www/bar.com/cgi-bin

  I handle email and website hosting for around ten domains all on
 the one IP address with no problems.

  The only time I can think of where you'd need more than one IP is
 when you're running secure websites with SSL.

  The real difference with the virtual servers like those which ByteMark
 offer is that you will be responsible for setting up this stuff
 yourself, unlike in a traditional hosting account.  If you have the
 patience to read documentation, and the desire to run everything
 yourself this is great.

Steve
---
char msg[] = { 0x49,0x66,0x20,0x79,0x6f,0x75,0x20,0x63,0x61,0x6e,0x20,0x72,
               0x65,0x61,0x64,0x20,0x74,0x68,0x69,0x73,0x20,0x49,0x20,0x77,
               0x61,0x6e,0x74,0x20,0x74,0x6f,0x20,0x77,0x6f,0x72,0x6b,0x20,
               0x66,0x6f,0x72,0x20,0x79,0x6f,0x75,0x2e,0x00 };