Re: [edlug] EU Forcing Microsoft to Open Source?

Peter  George wrote:

> "Mr Monti has ordered Microsoft to reveal details of its Windows
> software codes within 120 days, to make it easier for rivals to
> design compatible products. "
>
> Just to check my understanding here, does this mean that Windows
> source code will be viewable like Linux?

If it was "like Linux" then I'd be entitled not only to "view" the
source code but take a copy home with me, tweak it a bit, compile my
own version, and put it on sale as Twindows.  What Auntie Beeb seems
to be talking about is MS being obliged to open up particular
APIs/ABIs so rivals can write media-player apps for XP without
having to work out all the system calls by reverse-engineering.

A minor annoyance for Microsoft, but I don't see it helping the free
world terribly much except in that it makes SCO's position even more
absurd (amazing how that keeps happening).
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)