RE: [edlug] EU Forcing Microsoft to Open Source?

That makes it clearer, thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Aylett [mailto:andrew@xxx.xxx.xxx]
Sent: 24 March 2004 13:19
To: Peter George
Cc: edlug@xxx.xxx.xxx
Subject: Re: [edlug] EU Forcing Microsoft to Open Source?

"Peter  George" <peter@xxx.xxx.xxx> writes:

> "Mr Monti has ordered Microsoft to reveal details of its Windows
> software codes within 120 days, to make it easier for rivals to design
> compatible products. "
>
> Just to check my understanding here, does this mean that Windows
> source code will be viewable like Linux?

No, it doesn't.  In any case, that depends on what you mean by 'just like'...  From my understanding, it just means that Microsoft has to publish details of some interfaces and how they work, not the source code.  Even if they did publish the source code, it almost certainly wouldn't be 'just like Linux', as Linux is available under an open-source license, which means that once you've got it, you can make changes to it and give them to other people.  The intent here is interoperability, not modification and certainly not redistribution...

OK,
--
Andrew Aylett | www.aylett.co.uk | 1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight... andrew@xxx.xxx.xxx | answer==42 |  -- it's not just a good idea, it's the law!