Re: [edlug] Advocacy in Welsh

Dear Hank and other advocates,

... I'm not Welsh, nor any kind of Welsh-speaker but ...

I suspect that the real story behind Maeucrosofft's recent
Welsh-language initiative is that they are trying to bid for
public money/have public money spent adopting their software in
government services, either under "England-and-Wales" branded
legislation, or even Welsh Assembly sponsored stuff. They simply
CANNOT do this in Wales without a full bilingual presence
(constitutional affairs experts will be able to say when this
happened --- 1974 local government reorganisation? NO, the Welsh
Language Act 199x, see below) and since they are being kicked by
the EU over anti-monopolistic practices, any concessions to small
nations in terms of language representation represents a possibly
small-as-in-beer PR mitigation, as well as a
big-as-in-nasty-corporate-capital appropriation of more of the
public's money.

The insincerity of the gesture, or its not being perceived as a
big deal, should be offset against the mindshare this gives them
with public bodies. Now, it would be some sort of deal, not
necessarily big (but also: see below), if Linux advocates
could/can/do say that we've already got
Welsh/Gaelic/Basque/[insert tongue here]/... covered and are
trying to steal the jump, Bob Kerr-wise, on the public bodies of
those nations.

Ob EdLUG: Google on "Linux AND Gaelic" doesn't immediately turn
up anything useful, whereas

	"Linux and Gaidhlig" (so, you do need to know the spelling)
does:

	http://linuxpr.com/releases/6611.html

which says all of the above rather better than I seem to have.

Bore da!

(Anti-Welsh, Anti-Welsh Language Act, Anti-Gaidhlig,
Anti-bilingualism, etc. follow-ups to /dev/null/ please)
--

james DOT mckinna AT st DASH andrews DOT ac DOT uk

School of Computer Science
University of St. Andrews
North Haugh
St. Andrews