Re: [edlug] Tarballs ?

Andrew Ramage wrote:

How do you uncrompress .tar.gz files ? I am trying to use tar -xvz but the machine seems to freeze and do nothing. Hitting Ctrl-Z and typing ps shows tar and gzip to be running, but other than that the machine just sits there ...

Most command line tools will give you a brief run down of what options they have if you append --help to them: foo --help. If not man (man tar) pages are often your friend, but they vary in quality, some are incredibly obscure. I never, ever want to read ntpd documentation again.

The worst thing about tar is that the c and x keys are next to each other, that has caused me no end of pain in the past when archiving things. I now do things differently ;)

Matt

--
“We had to starve you so that we could stop bombing you, and then we had to bomb you so that we could stop starving you.” Kathy Kelly