Re: [edlug] Advocacy

EdLAG?

Stephen

Catriona & Anand wrote:

Hello all,

Peter H, Robert G and I had a good chat last night at The World about doing some Free/Open Source advocacy here in Edinburgh. I won't try to summarise our discussion here. Instead, I would like to invite any interested EdLUG members to contact me so that we can set up a group.

The frame of reference is that the group will be of EdLUG members, but will not "be" EdLUG. We will put together a formal constitution and committee and will communicate off the EdLUG list, but with periodic posts to update EdLUG members on what we are doing.

The initial goal will be to compile a collection of information (arguments, case studies, references) which can be used rapidly for informing politicians and the media, and to provide counter arguments where necessary. Robert, in particular, has already made a good start on this, but more help is needed.

Please let me know if you are interested in joining. At this early stage you can make a difference in shaping discussion and policy.

Anand

PS we need a name, preferrably with a clever acronym!

Stephen J. Johnson Ph.D. CBiol MIBiol
Institute of Infrastructure and Environment
School of Engineering & Electronics
University of Edinburgh
Tel: + 44 (0) 131 650 6992

"Thou shalt have a place also without the camp, where thou shalt go forth abroad: And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon: and it shall be when thou shalt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and thou shalt turn back, and cover that which cometh from you." - Deuteronomy 23:12-13