Re: [edlug] DVD RW disks for backup - advice

asmith@xxx.xxx.xxx wrote:

I'm considering buying buying a DVD writer and using RW disks for an overnight
backup using cron and a script.

How do DVDs rate for physical robustness? I have read that they are not nearly as tough as CDs, which is what you'd expect as the density is nearly 10 times as much: you can get away with leaving CDs lying around but not DVDs (according to the article I read, you can't even stack them the way you can with CDs - if you do, they may be damaged enough to jeopardise retrieval).

I think the pressed commercial DVDs are tougher than this, which may be misleading for the user-written ones.