Re: [edlug] VM : more details

Philip Nelson wrote:

The other "mainframe" operating system is (was) MVS, renamed to OS/390 and now known as z/OS. I work with this every day and still think there is no text editor in the world to match the ISPF editor found on this platform !!!

I know of at least one venerable Edinburgh financial toying with the idea of multiple Linux instances on an S/390 LPAR. In fact, their techies may have done it somewhat unofficially. (The JES2 queues didn't run last night Sir! Why not?...Ahem).

The advantages would be enormous - a script to create a new server, rather than the fannying about with Compaq Proliants, network speeds of gazillions Mbps, etc etc.

I'm principally a DBA working with DB2 (all flavours). There are four "flavours" of DB2 : DB2 for z/OS (sometimes called "DB2 Classic"), DB2 for VM (previously known as SQL/DS), DB2 for iSeries (the former AS/400 and S/36 minis) and DB2 for Linux, UNIX and Windows. DB2 on Linux is supported on a whole range of hardware architectures (zSeries, IA-32, IA-64, AMD64, iSeries, pSeries at least).

What happened to UDB? Was it one of those IBM renaming palavers? Oh, and you forgot OS/2!

If anyone is interested in a good description of VM and how it works with Linux then I'd suggest the book "Linux on the Mainframe" -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0131014153/qid=1079126201/sr=1-2/
ref=sr_1_0_2/026-6702578-9086019#product-details

HTH

Phil Nelson