Re: [edlug] VM : more details

Nice to hear from other mainframers on this list !

I worked as a VM sysprog, and later as an MVS>>OS/390>>z/OS sysprog>>team
leader, on several generations of IBM hardware up to and including their
recent zSeries platform. I started to find out about Linux after hearing what
IBM had to say about their interest (and investment) in running it on their
mainframes.

VM started life as CP/67 (Control Program 1967) which provided the "virtual
machine" environment that allowed the user to run an operating system in each
virtual machine (vm), unaffected by the activities of other vm's. Later along
came CMS (Conversational Monitor System) which was a single user OS that
could run only in a vm and provided facilities for editing, compiling,
running and debugging programs.

A neat feature was being able to run a new release of VM in a virtual machine
so you could test it while other users worked on uninterrupted in their own
vm's. So in one VM system, you could have different vm's running CMS, VM, MVS
and any other suitable OS's.

This is the capability that is now being exploited to allow customers to run
many vm's each running Linux. I would expect that, if desired, you could run
different releases of Linux in the same way as I describe above.

I've heard a number of IBMers explaining that IBM were concerned that new
generations of computer users coming out of universities didn't know anything
about IBM's mainframe systems, but they did know about other systems like
Windows, Unix and Linux. Hence IBM's interest in running Linux on their "big
iron". They see an opportunity for companies to consolidate large numbers of
smaller servers on to a single large IBM machine and simplify the management
of the services they provide.

IBM has a lot of documentation about VM and Linux available online. If you're
interested in looking at it, a good place to start is :

http://www.vm.ibm.com/linux/
--
Regards,
Denis Leslie