[edlug] VM : more details

Here you have another mainframer, and proud of it !!!

VM does indeed stand for Virtual Machine.  The latest incarnation of this IBM
technology, called z/VM (all "mainframe" things from IBM are zSomething these
days) is the recommended method of running Linux on the zSeries.  It's
possible to hosts hundreds (even thousands) or virtual Linux servers on one
zSeries box.  It's also possible to install one Linux instance natively on
zSeries, or to install it natively into one LPAR (Logical PARtition).

The other "mainframe" operating system is (was) MVS, renamed to OS/390 and now
known as z/OS.   I work with this every day and still think there is no text
editor in the world to match the ISPF editor found on this platform !!!

I'm principally a DBA working with DB2 (all flavours).  There are four
"flavours" of DB2 : DB2 for z/OS (sometimes called "DB2 Classic"), DB2 for VM
(previously known as SQL/DS), DB2 for iSeries (the former AS/400 and S/36
minis) and DB2 for Linux, UNIX and Windows.   DB2 on Linux is supported on a
whole range of hardware architectures (zSeries, IA-32, IA-64, AMD64, iSeries,
pSeries at least).

If anyone is interested in a good description of VM and how it works with
Linux then I'd suggest the book "Linux on the Mainframe" -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0131014153/qid=1079126201/sr=1-2/
ref=sr_1_0_2/026-6702578-9086019#product-details

HTH

Phil Nelson

On Friday 12 March 2004 11:12, Catriona & Anand wrote:
> On Friday 12 March 2004 10:20, Gordon Guthrie, BTP, BT, SE wrote:
>
> > So back in the day when I was a mainframe programme my target
> > architecture was VM/MVS. However the support machines were a big
> > Honeywell Multics and the confusingly named VMS on the Vax platform...
> >
> > Gordon

Philip Nelson
(teamdba@xxx.xxx.xxx)
http://www.scotdb.com