Re: [edlug] Is Open Source a Viable Business Alternative?

VM = Virtual Machine for IBM operating systems. I remember using an IBM 4331 running VM/CMS. Each terminal ran in its own Virtual Machine, on top of which there was the more user-friendly CMS operating system.

Greg Lewin wrote:

Peter G. Hancock wrote:

I don't remember that. About 20 years ago they were doing lots of things I thought were cool.
Particularly re-engineering CICS using formal specifications (Z). Anything of any interest in transaction processing seemed to be done by IBM people. They invented VM.

What VM - do you mean Virtual Memory? I thought that was invented in the UK, at Manchester.

I guess any two-letter acronym runs a heavy risk of being overloaded.

It probably is true that IBM is involved in real research (e.g. nanotechnology - the IBM logo written in atoms was very impressive) whereas M$ is basically a marketing outfit first and foremost.

Andrew

Quos deus vult perdere, prius dementat
Euripides, from Lycurgus (9th C BC)