RE: [edlug] Is Open Source a Viable Business Alternative?

I'd certainly like to run Windows super fast and reliably on 'Desktop 4' within Linux, and be able to drag and drop files from the VM to Linux (.doc, .pdf, .psd, .fla) and work on them.

I've always found VMWare, Wine and Crossover a bit of a hack.

I see Macromedia are porting Flash MX 2004 to Linux. I hope Dreamweaver and Photoshop CS follow, then I won't need a VM at all. Or Windows.

IBM have done a lot of work on Linux VM's on mainframes, particularly the recent zSeries. This is where the larger public sector Linux sales have been of late, including Dundee City Council. You can get 40,000 individual Linux server images on a z9000, all instantly commisionable etc on separate IP's I believe.

I wonder how Microsoft TCO annd tech arguments bear up at the enterprise mainframe/SAN level? I think Linux has the edge on scaleability/distribution/resistance/clustering doesn't it?

Must invite Stephen Tweedie to this debate.