Re: [edlug] Is Open Source a Viable Business Alternative?

IBM were the original 800lb gorilla. Their employees used to be referred to as "clones" (all those blue suits) The US split them up after an antitrust case. (see the parallels to M$ and where the paths diverge. ) Microsoft having sidestepped the antitrust issue are still as bad as ever. IBM, after the judgement, worked to become the "good guys". (And M$ _didn't_ write the OS for the IBM PC. It was basically a re-badged QDOS [Quick and Dirty Operating System] from Seattle Computer Products]. What Bill Gates is is a master of marketing. He rode IBM's coattails until he was big enough to tell them to go pound sand.)

Peter G. Hancock wrote:

Greg Lewin wrote (on Wed, 10 Mar 2004 at 19:10):

> I'm quite amused that IBM has now become the goodie, the champion of > sweetness and light. I remember when it was the arch-baddie and heart > of darkness, only 20 years ago.

I don't remember that.

About 20 years ago they were doing lots of things I thought were cool.
Particularly re-engineering CICS using formal specifications (Z). Anything of any interest in transaction processing seemed to be done by IBM people. They invented VM. They were behind relational
databases.

The nastiest thing I remember is the saying "Nobody ever got fired
for buying IBM", which pervaded the world of suits in the 70's and
early 80's. I guess it was put about by IBM sales.

Hank

Andrew

Quos deus vult perdere, prius dementat
Euripides, from Lycurgus (9th C BC)