Re: [edlug] Is Open Source a Viable Business Alternative?

    > I'm quite amused that IBM has now become the goodie, the champion of
    > sweetness and light. I remember when it was the arch-baddie and heart
    > of darkness, only 20 years ago.

I don't remember that.

About 20 years ago they were doing lots of things I thought were cool.
Particularly re-engineering CICS using formal specifications (Z).
Anything of any interest in transaction processing seemed to be
done by IBM people.  They invented VM.  They were behind relational

The nastiest thing I remember is the saying "Nobody ever got fired
for buying IBM", which pervaded the world of suits in the 70's and
early 80's.  I guess it was put about by IBM sales.