RE: [edlug] Samba problem

I think it looks like the problem is on the XP machine. On trying
to map a network drive to the Linux/Samba server, I am getting
errors either 'no service running at the other end' or, just now,
something about a device driver not operating correctly. I had a
crash a couple of weeks ago on the XP box that also said there
was a device driver problem.

Nothing comes up in the Samba logs when I try to connect, so it
seems the XP box isn't speaking. I'll spend some time hunting
down this device driver error. From the information various
people have sent me, I'm pretty sure the Samba service is set up
fine. Maybe I'll try with my old Win98 box just to confirm.

Cheers,

d.

On 8 Mar 2004 at 16:05, Kevin Sangeelee wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, David R. Baird wrote:
>
> > Thanks to all for advice. Unfortunately it looks like the problem is
> > that I am running XP Home (not Pro), so running into the traditional
> > 'gimme more money if you want it to work properly' M$ crap. XP
> > apparently lacks certain networking components.
>
> I have a laptop that has XP Home installed, and I use it to access
> various Samba servers, both on my LAN and over a VPN without trouble.
> Samba drives my printer too, which again works fine from XP Home. I
> haven't tried to connect to an XP Home share from GNU/Linux, so I
> can't comment on that direction.
>
> My smbd is 2.0.3 (eek, that's a bit old now!), and I can probably send
> you my samba config file if you mail me directly. I remember tcpdump
> being particularly useful on more than one occasion when trying to
> figure out what Windows is doing.
>
> Kevin
>

> > On 6 Mar 2004 at 11:31, Robert (Rob) M. Schneider wrote:
> >
> > > David,
> > >
> > > Samba doesn't provide WINS and isn't something you need turned on
> > > XP.
> > >
> > > I enclose a few files from my working setup (Samba as file/printer
> > > sharing along with domain controller running on Linux for 3 xp and
> > > Win 2003 server machines).  Perhaps you can spot differences.
> > >
> > > Also, if things still not working, can you reframe the
> > > question/issue again to clarify what you think is broken and
> > > what's needed.
> > >
> > > Also ... I've written up what I know (and that's not much) on XP
> > > and Samba and published it at
> > > http://www.rmschneider.com/writing/xp_and_samba.html. This also
> > > may provide you clues.

> > > Robert (Rob) M. Schneider