RE: [edlug] Samba problem

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, David R. Baird wrote:

> Thanks to all for advice. Unfortunately it looks like the problem
> is that I am running XP Home (not Pro), so running into the
> traditional 'gimme more money if you want it to work properly' M$
> crap. XP apparently lacks certain networking components.

I have a laptop that has XP Home installed, and I use it to access various
Samba servers, both on my LAN and over a VPN without trouble. Samba
drives my printer too, which again works fine from XP Home. I haven't
tried to connect to an XP Home share from GNU/Linux, so I can't comment on
that direction.

My smbd is 2.0.3 (eek, that's a bit old now!), and I can probably send you
my samba config file if you mail me directly. I remember tcpdump being
particularly useful on more than one occasion when trying to figure out
what Windows is doing.

Kevin