Re: [edlug] Failing hdd and mystery crash

Alistair K Phipps wrote:
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:35:17 +0000
Mike Moran <mike_moran@xxx.xxx.xxx> wrote:

into that damn inode :-) So, is there some option I can pass to one of the ext2 family of programs which will allow me to check that the badblocks inode has been updated? Also, is the "bad magic" message given by e2dump (as mentioned previously) when I try to use it to dump the number 2 inode something to worry about?

dumpe2fs -b /dev/hdXn

Where /dev/hdXn is the ext2/3 partition, should output the list of bad
blocks on that partition.

Right. Thanks very much for that.

Bad magic usually means that the device you specified does not contain
a ext2/3 filesystem.

I think this was because I wasn't using dumpe2fs (running this instead produced no "Bad Magic").

Well, it seems I'm getting to the bottom of the problem (if any). If I check one partition (hda9 in this case), without specifying a block size, then I get 3 bad blocks. However, if I get dump2fs to tell me the block size, and pass this to badblocks, then I get no bad blocks detected. So, it would seem the block size is important; meaning I was probably just too stupid to think of specifying it before.

One final thing: when I use ide-smart (vesrion 1.4) on hda, I get all passes. However, when I use smartctl (version 2.1, using "smartctl -a /dev/hda9") I get the following near the end:

Smart Error Log Read failed: Input/output error
Smartctl: Smart Errorlog Read Failed
Smart Error Log Read failed: Input/output error
Smartctl: Smart Self Test log Read Failed

I also get a "hda: drive_cmd:" error logged in /var/log/messages, like I have seen before. This means I was possibly mistaken before and it was the checking of the disk with smartctl which was actually *causing* the hda errors. This does leave me wondering why smartctl is causing these errors. Is it a smartctl error, or something wrong with the disk?

Anyway, in summary, thanks for all the help; I'm reasonably happy for now that the disk is ok and it's my assumptions that led me up the garden path or I'm just going to have to wait for it to fail before I definitely know. As HAL wisely said, "It can only be attributable to human error."

--
Mike