Re: [edlug] Failing hdd and mystery crash

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:35:17 +0000
Mike Moran <mike_moran@xxx.xxx.xxx> wrote:

> into that damn inode :-) So, is there some option I can pass to one of
> the ext2 family of programs which will allow me to check that the
> badblocks inode has been updated? Also, is the "bad magic" message
> given by e2dump (as mentioned previously) when I try to use it to dump
> the number 2 inode something to worry about?

dumpe2fs -b /dev/hdXn

Where /dev/hdXn is the ext2/3 partition, should output the list of bad
blocks on that partition.

Bad magic usually means that the device you specified does not contain
a ext2/3 filesystem.  Check that the device you're giving to dumpe2fs
is the same one in /etc/fstab that you use to mount the filesystem.
If so, and it is definitely ext2/3 and not something like reiserfs,
then the FS is messed up and a e2fsck on it should identify problems.

HTH,

Alistair