Re: [edlug] Samba problem

Hostnames are set up, with XP = eveshampc.mshome.net, and Linux = zerofive.mshome.net

From Linux, I can ping eveshampc successfully.

From XP, I can NOT ping zerofive, but I CAN ping 192.168.0.123

No name resolution setup, by the sound of it. Unless you are using DNS, name resolution for most purposes would have to be done via hosts files (/etc/hosts on Unix, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts).

One exception is SMB, which can be done via WINS resolution.

On XP, in network places, I see the Linux box, and it has the name I set up in the Samba config, so at some level they are talking to each other. However, any attempt to access the machine results in a '\\Zerofive is not accessible' error, also saying 'The network path was not found'.

Implies that the Samba server is sending out the browse information, but that only contains a hostname, not the IP address it equates to. So when the XP machine tries to connect to \\zerofive it still has no idea what IP address to connect to.

Nothing at all appears in the samba logs, nor in the messages log.

Not surprising, it never gets there.

Here is my Samba config:

[global]
   workgroup = MSHOME
   server string = Samba Server
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   local master = yes
   wins support = yes

[homes]
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775
   map archive = no

[data]
    path = /home/data
    read only = no
    map archive = no

Seems fine. If you want to avoid configuring a DNS then set up your Windows boxes to use the Samba box as a WINS server by its IP address; the option is on the TCP/IP control panel or if you're using DHCP you can set it via that route. The "wins support = yes" means that you're set up to provide WINS to the network anyway.

Of course, if you're in a hurry, then \\192.168.0.123\sharename will work fine; you don't need to resolve the name.

--
Angus Rae
Science & Engineering Support, EUCS, University of Edinburgh