Re: [edlug] Failing hdd and mystery crash

    > Ok doke, I've done the whole badblocks thing, and lo-and-behold it
    > found 10 bad blocks. However, when I try to get e2fsck to fix them
    > (from within a knoppix boot), using the "-c" option, the final output
    > says "0 bad blocks", amongst the normal summary. What gives?

I think what gives is that the badblocks program is looking at a
_partition_ (i.e. approx an array of blocks), whereas e2fsck is
looking, a bit superficially, at a _filesystem_ represented in parts of
that block array, checking that some of those blocks look like
coherent directory/file inodes and w.h.y. .  The bad blocks could be
marked unallocated, or something.

So, badblocks is giving you something closer to the real deal about
the state of your disk.  The file-system may only be running into them
occassionally.  Those that it sees are maybe recorded in inode 2, but
it's not the real scoop.

Roy Bamford suggested "man smartd/smartctl".  He's quite right.  If you
find and install the smartd demon, and your disk is not too ancient, it
can be persuaded to tell you more than you ever wanted to know about
your disk.  You'll never sleep soundly again...

Hank