RE: [edlug] OT: Linux-Windows datastructure exchange C++

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 21:12, Tim Day wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 18:25, Jon Rabone wrote:
> > There are plenty of libraries to do network transport of binary data,
> > pick one based on its merits for your application and use it. Rolling
> > your own is rarely justifiable.
>
> Certainly as a minimum anything transported should be translated through
> something like htonl/ntohl or the xdr_* routines.
>
> > Because if he had to ask a question like that, he clearly doesn't know what
> > he's doing and should be using a standard tool, rather than kludging low
> > level network transport code together which undoubtedly will fail to be
> > safe, architecture-independent, reliable and reusable.

> Hmmm.. all I saw was someone who must have been reasonably familiar with
> gcc asking for some msdev help.
>
> We need some more data here...
>
> Paul: can you tell us anything about your application so we can debate
> the right tool for the job some more ?  Why are you using UDP rather
> than TCP, for example ?

Its an embedded system running on pc104's (tiny form factor PCs) (intel
architecture only).

The entire comms framework is done using udp mainly because several
processes are usually interested in the output of any given other.

There are procedures for when messages are no longer detected (eg a
process goes down/locks up). A process can be automatically (re)started
on another pc104 if it absence is detected (ie. the process doesn't have
dependable ip address)

Finally its a small pod containing a network of a handful of pc104s and
a single Ethernet line. It crosses 0 routers and none of the Internet
packet loss is highly unlikely to occur and thats 99% of the reason use
TCP gone. Besides which the system is engineered to be tolerent to
packet loss.

Everything on the linux side works very reliably and is well understood.
The problem is interfacing it to existing windows viewing application -
other people seem to have problems reading the OP.

Paul