RE: [edlug] OT: Linux-Windows datastructure exchange C++

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 18:25, Jon Rabone wrote:
> There are plenty of libraries to do network transport of binary data,
> pick one based on its merits for your application and use it. Rolling
> your own is rarely justifiable.

Certainly as a minimum anything transported should be translated through
something like htonl/ntohl or the xdr_* routines.

> Because if he had to ask a question like that, he clearly doesn't know what
> he's doing and should be using a standard tool, rather than kludging low
> level network transport code together which undoubtedly will fail to be
> safe, architecture-independent, reliable and reusable.

Hmmm.. all I saw was someone who must have been reasonably familiar with
gcc asking for some msdev help.

We need some more data here...

Paul: can you tell us anything about your application so we can debate
the right tool for the job some more ?  Why are you using UDP rather
than TCP, for example ?

--
Tim Day - www.timday.com