[edlug] X events

Hi, I wonder if someone might know how to do the following:

I would like to have my window/desktop manager turn on/off
a process on entering/exiting a virtual desktop.

I know how to write the script, except I have no experience with
scripts that listen for X events or even how these events are handled.

I am using icewm.

The motivation for this is: firefox uses a lot of cpu and chews through
a battery. At the moment, I am manually sending it STOP and CONT
signals. I want to automate this.

Alternative ideas are welcome.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.