Re: [edlug] Edlug - suggested idea

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 14:25 +0000, Leo Butler wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, William Hamilton wrote:
>

> < >
> < > Open Source can I think be more satisfying than simply editing a config
> < > file  to run the work of someone else.

<snip>

> I agree: the most effective way to support foss is through *good quality* bug reports.
>
> See:
> http://www.debian.org/intro/help

That is, absolutely, something I've had to deal with. I last wrote C
code about 20 years ago, for VMS, on VAX and Alpha. I would be a long
way off getting sufficiently up to speed to be submitting patches
without risking a shredding.

However, I have got quite good at submitting suitably detailed bug
reports to enable a fix to be implemented. I'd tried adding a
tripwire-type package to my Ubuntu install, and that blew up running the
install.

What I could see in the install log was that the package relied on there
being an actual "mail" command available within the shell. I submitted
the report with logs and my "guess" at the problem, couple of days later
someone picked up the bug, reproduced it, patched the dependencies, and
an updated version went out. It is satisfying to see the emails for
fixing the bug; they're much more likely to do so with a clear bug
report.

I'm a relatively recent convert to Ubuntu - I always had a showstopper
in getting my 15-year archive of email extracted from Outlook. It does
not, unfortunately, go straight from Outlook to Evolution. As an
intermediate step you need to use Thunderbird (which I dislike the
interface of), you need to have a working Outlook install, and the first
step needs done on Windows so you can call various Outlook libraries to
extract the mails.

And, important to me, Evolution supports working with an Exchange
back-end - so many companies use this. I'm sure the current or next
version from Microsoft will be tweaked to exclude Evolution and their
team will have to reverse engineer those horrible Microsoft protocols to
fix that.

What, to me, would be valuable as well as quality bug reports is a
ready-to-go 'tweaked' Ubuntu Live CD. Perhaps the biggest advantage I
see with that is you could stop an awful lot of PCs going in landfill
because they won't run Windows 7.

For most uses, once you've done the base Ubuntu install you then have to
add the Medibunti repository, install support for DVD, various non-free
video formats, MP3 libraries, and a few other bits and pieces.

I don't really think it would be too difficult to actually have a
tweaked distribution where end-users did not have to do the technical
work; just boot from the live CD, run a slightly more detailed set of
tests than Ubuntu's built-in ones, and then just do a full install, get
online, and automatically pull down what won't fit on a CD.

Preload a bunch of UK and region-specific bookmarks, and, oooh, ....
Call it "Ubuntu Lothian".

If the CDs are readily available, say, at £1 each, a lot of people would
gamble on that when their laptop gets so infested it's useless. As long
as they know up-front that things like the built-in webcam might not
work. I think a lot of people would be happy to lose that rather than,
as often happens, they buy a new laptop.

And I think it could be done with the freely available repositories -
not actually needing to host one somewhere and maintain it.

<cue distro wars>

Oh, and if someone could write a .pol (Play on Linux) for Spotify...

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil@xxx.xxx.xxx>|http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil
Content of this message in no way represents the opinions or official position