Re: [edlug] Donateing CD's to Edinburgh Council

Bob Kerr wrote:

As part of an Open Source Awareness program, I am going to donate a copy of the LendingCD and a copy of TheOpenCD to every Edinburgh City Councillor. There are 58 Councillors in all and I am going to write a letter concerning the lending CD in libraries project.

I am also willing to include a letter from Edlug. The only problem that I see is how does Edlug as a group write a letter. The letter must have a fixed and easily accomplishable goal for the council and if possible should be signed by the members.

An accomplishable goal would be something like sending the marketing pdf about Openoffice to council employees or even just the Personel/human resources department. For signing it we can either have a representative sign for all of us or we can have stated objectives on the Wiki which could be signed and after a specified date the Wiki page becomes read only.

Thoughts anyone ?

Cheers

Bob

One thing that I think should definitely be mentioned is that open source
software is built on open standards so anyone can write a program based
on that standard, propriety, or non-propriety.  Microsoft are currently
trying to patent its XML extensions used in the latest office products
to further increase vendor lock-in. While I think this will currently
only apply in the US, EU patent law is rapidly becoming more and more in
line with the US.  We must remember that this is often *our* data that
the government and councils is storing in these formats.  It is in
everyones interests to have this data stored in an open, non-propriety
format.  We really need to get *our* government out of its MSOffice
addiction before we end up in a state where the only wasy to access our
data is through Microsoft  tools.  After all, do we really want to trust
a company that behaves in the way Microsoft do with data about us?

.