From: hancock@xxx.xxx.xxx (Peter G. Hancock)
To: EdLUG <edlug@xxx.xxx.xxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:13:08 +0000
Subject: Re: [edlug] Short Talk for next meeting

In the late 70's one could (for the cost of a mag-tape) get hold of
the sources for the TRIPOS operating system (written in BCPL), as well
as various BCPL compilers.  Even earlier, one could get the sources
for the OS7(?) OS (which introduced the idea of streams).  I vaguely
remember it was quite a blast to spread line-printer paper all over
the floor and crawl it around learning how operating systems worked
(rather than doing handbrake turns in car-parks and mugging old
ladies). </old-fart-mode>

I thought there was a lot to admire in people who were prepared to
publish code for such a thing, warts and all.

Hank