[edlug] Crontab and permissions - help

Hi all,

I'm new to dealing with cron. I am trying to secure some scripts that
run via cron jobs on a multi-user system. The scripts are already in use
so I cannot risk experimenting.

I need to protect password info stored in these scripts and am trying to
find out how restrictive the permissions can be.

I did a brief bit of 'googling' and read that scripts listed in a users
crontab are executed with root permissions, but this can't be as that
would be a major security hole. So I am presuming the obvious, that cron
runs them as the user in question.

In which case I can get away with chmod 0700.

Can anyone give me some confidence with this?

Dan