Re: [edlug] ghosting linux images

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Subhi S Hashwa wrote:

> Wednesday, January 21, 2004, 4:47:02 PM, Gallagher, Kevin wrote:
>

> > Has anyone ever ghosted a linux image? Any recomendations? I am planning on
> > rolling out a lab of identically spec'd machines and have begun to think
> > about the issues involved. I have used Symantec Ghost v7.5 successfully to
> > ghost one PC so far.
>
> I use partimage (www.partimage.org)
> works very well on windows/linux ghosting, but doesnt scale well,
> could do with multicasting function if anyone is brave enough to take
> on the task.

If folk are really interested I could redo an update of talk I did at
UKUUG for EdLug. Our PIE system can multicast. It is linux based and
scripted. To date it has been used for nearly 3000 windows XP builds.

> I use it NFS with root-NFS boot kernel on cd/floppy/usb, but I
> guess would work over PXE as well.

We use floppy/cdrom/usb/pxe but use http for image download (https for
authentication to proprietary images).  NFS is rarely passed through
firewalls, so http can be a better protocol.

I believe PIE docs are visible outwith the Uni so try
http://pie.ucs.ed.ac.uk/ for a quick look.

> //Subhi
>
> --
> Best regards,