Re: [edlug] Kernel updates..

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:36:38 -0000
"deek" <deek__f@xxx.xxx.xxx> wrote:

> Have not looked into this yet, just thought I would ask question first...
> How easy/difficult is it to change from 2.4 kernel to 2.6?  is it just a
> case of "upgrading" or is there a lot more to it?

	I've had some troubles upgrading from Mandrake 9.1 to 9.2.  Primarily with the devfsd daemon.
It seemed to get stuck in a recursive loop on 2.6 kernels, it called modprobe which triggered the devfsd daemon
which called modprobe which triggered the devfsd daemon etc.etc.  I ended up with a ps -e f listing looking like this:
	modprobe ; true
	|-- modprobe
	|-- -- modprobe ; true
		etc.

	I've tried this on an IDE machine and a pure-SCSI machine, and it did the
same thing on both machines, when probing cdrom.ko and scsi_hostadapter
respectively.  The solution (for me) was to disable devfsd and change my
fstab records from things like '/dev/sda1' to things like
'/dev/sd/c1b0t1u0p5'.  I also had to recompile the kernel myself and
include the IDE and SCSI drivers into the kernel itself, rather than as modules.

	So it is possible to upgrade, it took me probably a couple of days to get
there, and then it works with both the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.  But it may
have problems.  On the plus side, compiling the kernel was easier (I've
often had problems with Mandrake's kernel sources), so you might want to
give that a try and the new kernel has fixed several bugs I noticed with 2.4.

	Cheers,
		--Pat.

--
Patrick A. Wallace, paw [at] rsc [dot] co [dot] uk