Re: [edlug] Kernel updates..

I've done the upgrade on my Fedora Core 1 system. The improvement over 2.4 is dramatic. It all seems to be working too which is nice. Last time I tried with RH9 it didn't work well at all but with FC1 it worked well after a few false starts to do with sound and network cards. I did the build by using the example config file from the FC1 kernel source rpm (look in configs directory) and doing a make oldconfig with the new kernel source. I downloaded the kernel source from the UK ftp.kernel.org mirror rather than trying to use any RPMs. Works well. Compiled in preemption and that makes for a very smooth and speedy user experience, the X interface feels like it is gliding on ice it is so fast and smooth.

I had no problems with sharing the / partition with 2.4 and 2.6, they happily boot although there is some disagreement about what ethernet card I have, 2.6 seems to recognise a new card but if I accept the new card it doesn't work so I just leave it as defined by 2.4 boot and tell it to ignore the new hardware. The only other things I did in the build were to build the legacy /proc (don't know if it matters but I figured it was best to be safe) and also legacy OSS drivers instead of ALSA sound which didn't work with the rest of Fedora.

Well worth it though, like I said before, 2.6 is the first kernel upgrade that has been truely impressive simply because it is so smooth and the transition from 2.4 to 2.6 has been much less trouble than previous kernel updates. 2.4 was a nightmare until it hit its mid teens, 2.2 was OK, 2.0 wasn't a huge improvement over 1.2 which was perhaps a bit better than 1.0 although this is of course all from having used Linux as my desktop since I installed slackware back in '94. Oh hell, I just realised I have been using Linux for ten years now and all of that time, up until November it was my exclusive desktop too. And now I have been converted to OS X, although I do still run Linux on my server and main desktop machine (which admittedly dual boots with XP) so I haven't completely gone nuts! :-)

Shane

deek wrote:

Have not looked into this yet, just thought I would ask question first...
How easy/difficult is it to change from 2.4 kernel to 2.6?  is it just a
case of "upgrading" or is there a lot more to it?