Re: [edlug] Fair queuing

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:34:31 +0100 (CET)
Jordi Bruguera i Cortada <jordi@xxx.xxx.xxx> wrote:

> You can mark interesting packets on eth0 and apply the queues
> on eth1 for managing bandwidth on ingress traffic. Do the reverse
> for egress.

Not sure that would work. What I've got at the moment is:

INTERNET----cable modem----eth1 my box eth0----gf's box

With a htb for outgoing traffic on eth1. The problem is my gf uses
bittorrent a lot. This arrangement helps reduce the impact of the
mulitple upload streams that bittorrent causes however it doesn't get
rid of it. The only way I've found to prevent a terrible amount of
latency is to set an ingress policing filter for each destination port
6881 through 6889 limiting the rate for each to 1kbit. This prevents the
mutiple streams from swamping the htb on eth0. What I would like is to
limit the range of ports to 3/4 of my upload rate as this should have
the same effect but not affect bittorrent too much.

Marking the packets as they hit eth0 and sticking them in the low
priority queue won't help as it would be the same as I have now. To be
honest I'm wondering if the fair queuing stuff in my kernel is the same
as they have over at lartc.

--
If you can read this you've gone too far.
Stephen Jones (Zombywuf) D5A4 5342 E7BD E524 710A