Re: [edlug] Looking for a new Distro

Stephen Jones wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:02:03 +0000
Matthew Slane <m.slane@xxx.xxx.xxx> wrote:

I like minimlilst stuff, I detest redhat/mandrake etc. with a passion,

so I'm looking for something small and sleek that I can add what I
need and not what deadrat thinks I need. Currently I'm looking at
Vector (Slackware based so should be good) and Arch linux.

You don't like compiling from source so you're going for a Slackware based system? To be honest you'd probably be best just going for Slackware, as far as I can tell Vector is just Slackware with a gui install (contrary to popular belief Slackware's install is pretty good) and some kind of extra config abstraction stuff. Go for Slackware, you know you want too. </slackware zealotry>

Vector is pre-compiled as far as I can tell from the website. I don't mind compiling small programs, its the big ones that take hours that I hate. I've just tried the VL4.0 install iso that I downloaded while at my brothers and it doesn't work, got a circular scsi dependency (need to run the scsi module of the cd, but the cd-rom is scsi, so the module can't be loaded, I think thats whats happening). I think I know how to get round it, but thats for tomorrow. (Gentoo install cd's from 1.2 onwards have exactly the same problem, and my trusty 1.1 install cd is dead)