Re: [edlug] debian testing or gentoo?

El jue, 15-01-2004 a las 16:00, Phill Gillespie escribió:
> Unstable is named as such because it can cause your machine to crash,
> break your installation or screw up your data.  Over the years there
> have been a few nasty packages that have (accidentally) wrecked my
> system (as I did apt-get upgrade everyday).  Quite often packages are
> broken, i.e. have unresolvable dependencies.  Notable examples are X,
> Gnome and KDE.  They may only stay broken for less than 24 hours but
> that won't help you if you get caught upgrading in that time.

you can always downgrade to the last good known set of working packages,
either using old .debs on /var/cache/apt/archives, using testing
packages if suitable or simply using older snapshots of debian mirrors
:-)

> The packages in unstable are there because they need checking for
> Release Critical bugs.  If they are proved safe, no RC bugs for 10
> consecutive days, they get passed down to Testing.  Last summer
> unstable has regular updates of Samba 3.0 alpha pre-releases, clearly
> an unstable product.

yep, true... testing/unstable also means that programs may work
different as expected (ie: upgrading may require some work fiddling with
configs... on stable you don't have to fix anything if there's a new
package because it'll work exactly as before - except, of course, there
was a license violation or something like that which may remove
capabilities on some software).

> For a user un-sure of how to fix broken dependencies then unstable is
> not the platform for you.  Testing is far more reliable and quite up
> to date.  Unstable is for those who like the absolute bleeding edge
> (let's briefly ignore experimental!).

Yeah, as I said before testing (sarge) becoming stable will come soon,
so unstable isn't as "interesting" as on some other occasions ;-)

(Experimental is not a full debian branch such as stable, testing or
unstable, ie: you can't install experimental. On experimental you can
find packages that, whether they fail, they'll definitely break your
system: libc, X, dpkg,... You don't want to use any experimental .deb
unless you're a debian developer ;-) )

And by the way you can always use testing and use "pinning" to get
software from unstable if you really want it, as the packages eventually
will be uploaded to testing :-)

--
Backup no encontrado: (A)bortar, (R)eintentar, (S)uicidarse?