Re: [edlug] Fedora experiences, anyone?

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 09:54, Ed wrote:

> The 3 main gotchas I can think of are the default UTF language setting
> which causes programs like acroread to fail (fix /etc/sysconfig/i18n
> as you did in RH9).

Actually, I've found more and more use for the UTF8 stuff, and I'm just
living with the occasional badly behaved app like acroread which doesn't
cope with Posix locales properly (typing "LANG=C acroread" is easy
enough for the rare times I need it --- xpdf etc. work fine for most
things.)

> Also the /etc/yum.conf as shipped is faulty and needs different URLs
> before updating works.

You need to modify yum.conf to specify a mirror, certainly, and if you
stick to the default source then you're going to experience a lot of
competition getting to it when a new kernel errata comes out. :)  And
anyway, you *want* to modify your yum.conf to specify all the additional
repositories of goodies that are half the point of Fedora in the first
place.

My experience has been similar that it Just Works, and the additional
fedora.us repository stuff is wonderful (in fact, I'm using a lot of
that stuff updated via yum even on my RHL9 boxes too.)

--Stephen