Re: [edlug] Server, 802.11g and Fedora

Shane Sturrock wrote:
Oh, while I am talking about the server, has anyone else had a real nightmare with sharing a printer with WindowsXP? I am using a Samba setup that worked fine with Win98 (the printer is attached to the server) but when I connect to it with XP it will print the test page but then if I log out and then log back in the printer is still there but I get access denied. I have seen this same problem coming up all over on google searches but no solution as yet. Samba updated as per RH9 in case that helps. If someone has a working smb.conf file they could send me it would be greatly appreciated.

This is a known problem with XP and samba. MS introduced some "enhancements" to the SMB protocols which stopped XP machines talking properly to samba servers. It can't be fixed by tweaking the smb.comf files and is still being worked on by the samba team to see if they can come up with a fully working solution. Check their website http://www.samba.org for the latest news.
Robert.