Re: [edlug] New hard disk for 'oldish' mobo

    P> I've just put an 80 gig HD into an old-ish mobo (P2). The BIOS
    P> mis-detected it as 16 meg or something...

My old BIOS (PII-300 vintage) simply locked up during the POST with a
big drive in if it was trying to detect it.  So I used the same trick
as Chris already mentioned.  Boot off a smaller drive and tell the
BIOS there's no drive where the big one is.

    P> On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 18:40, Chris Sinclair wrote:
    >> As far as I know, once you can boot the system off one hard
    >> disk you can put whatever you like in for the others, you just
    >> tell the BIOS there is nothing there.
    >>
    >> My PC can only support 8GB hard disks so I boot off a 2GB one
    >> as HDA and have a 40GB one as the main installation space.
    >>
    >> From fstab:
    >>
    >> /dev/hdc1 / ext3 defaults 1 1 /dev/hda1 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    >> /dev/hdc5 /home ext3 defaults 1 2 ...  /dev/hda5 swap swap
    >> defaults 0 0

Kenny.

--
Desktop Services Team, EUCS.